It is no secret, I am a very oily person add to this that I have severe hair issues. If I wash my hair too much it irritates my scalp, causes itching, dryness and major dandruff. If I don’t wash my hair often I end up with a icky oily mess. That is until I found this miracle of miracles. Wet dry shampoo spray.
I have used commercial dry shampoo sprays in the past. Some work better than others but all leave my hair feeling coated and looking a bit dull. I was skeptical when I read the posting but since I had all the ingredients on hand I thought why not give it a try. The commercial brands can cost over $5 this spray costs just pennies.
Here is her original recipe
- 1 cup warm water
- 1/4 cup arrowroot or cornstarch
- 1/4 cup vodka, rubbing alcohol or witch hazel (what I use, from here)
- essential oils or a spritz of your favorite perfume to scent
What to do: Mix all ingredients in a small spray bottle and shake well. Shake before each use and spray on roots or oily parts of hair. Let dry and style as usual.
What I did.
1. I used cornstarch because arrowroot sounds like some fancy herb I have to go to a specialty store to buy and I didn’t want to spend money on something I have never heard of and might never use again.
2. I used 91% isopropyl alcohol again because that is what I had on hand. I couldn’t see wasting good vodka on my hair but heck if you have a party and someone leaves a bottle of the cheap stuff this is a great way to get rid of it. Witch hazel is just basically watered down rubbing alcohol.
3. Lavender essential oil.
I poured everything into a spray bottle and shook well, then doused my hair. I got about 6 applications out of the bottle. make sure you shake well before each use as the cornstarch will settle.
Spray hair, brush through and voila! Good smelling, clean looking hair. It was that easy.
Miracles! My hair looked and felt great, it also dried fairly quickly when using this product.
Here are the before and after pictures. Yeah I know a need a hair cut and have a ton of split ends. I told you I had serious hair issues.