I was searching for an easy recipe that my husband could make for dinner. He is wonderful at making dinner as long as I do the shopping, find a recipe for him, then clean up the kitchen. I usually pick something simple with few ingredients, little prep (less mess for me to clean), and ideally involves cooking on the grill.
In my search I came across this recipe (See above picture) for Grilled Pineapple Chicken Packets . It looked good and sounded simple enough. I bought all the ingredients, printed the recipe and left him instructions. of course something came up and he wasn’t able to make it. Since I am not allowed near the grill since that is the man kitchen, also it is so old and with my luck if I tried to turn it on it would probably rebel, blow up and catch the patio on fire. So I decided to adjust the recipe and cook it in my Covered Baker from Pampered Chef. I am not a Pampered Chef sales rep but I love their products. They are expensive but so worth the investment. What I love about the covered baker is that you can bake in it or use it in the microwave and food comes out great. Because it is made from stoneware it also keeps your food warm longer while sitting on the table.
- 1/3 cup pineapple preserves- I used Orange marmalade because I had it in the fridge.
- 2 tablespoons packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 2-inch cubes (1 lb)
- 1 medium red bell pepper, cut into 1 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 medium green bell pepper, cut into 1 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 cup pineapple chunks (Drain the juice)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
1. I placed the first 4 ingredients in my dish and mixed them together. In the future I would recommend doing this is a separate bowl and pouring on top of the chicken and vegetables but I was feeling lazy and didn’t want to dirty another bowl.
2. Cut up the chicken and vegetables, mix everything together and add to dish. Pour the sauce mixture over the chicken and vegetables. I added broccoli since I am trying to eat more green vegetables.
3. Cook in the microwave covered for 14 minutes or until done. Every 4-5 minutes stir the chicken and vegetables to insure even cooking. If you don’t have a covered baker bake in the over at 350 for 30-45 minutes. No liquid was added, the liquid all came from the chicken and vegetables.
4. Serve over rice and enjoy.
The recipe was quick and easy. I think it would have been better on the grill but love that it is so versatile. A lot of liquid was produced by the chicken so you might want to add 1-2 tablespoons of cornstarch in the beginning to thicken it while it cooks. The chicken was still tender and juicy.